https://secureservercdn.net/220.127.116.11/79d.023.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Lamb-shank.jpg?time=1642494143 1000 750 BTC https://secureservercdn.net/18.104.22.168/79d.023.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Breaking-The-Chains-Foundation-Logo-Circle-300x300.png BTC2021-04-10 10:58:522022-01-10 10:59:48April’s Recipe Chef Gason’s Easter Lamb Shanks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 – 6 lamb shanks trimmed of excess fat
- 1 large white onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups red wine like Merlot Pinot Noir, or a Chianti
- 14 oz (tomato puree or tomato sauce)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 beef bouillon cubes crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash and pat dry lamb shanks with paper towel.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat .
- Sear two shanks in the hot oil until browned on all sides, then repeat with remaining 2-4 shanks.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Sauté the carrots and diced onions in the pan juices until softened, (about 3 minutes), then add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Return the shanks back into the pot; season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with flour, toss well and cook for 4-5 minutes to brown the flour.
- Add stock, wine, puree, tomato paste, bouillon and herbs the bring to a simmer on the stove.
- Cover, transfer to lower part of the oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours and allow the meat to simmer slowly.
- Gently transfer the shanks onto a plate; tent to keep warm.
- Discard the bay leaves from the sauce and place pot onto stove. Simmer sauce over medium heat until thickened to your desired consistency.
- You should be left with about 3 cups of sauce thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon.
*If the sauce is too thick, add a few tablespoons of stock. If the sauce is too thin, boil it over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until reduced to the right consistency.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust salt and pepper, if desired. Add the shanks back into the pot of sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes, rice or pasta.