Nola Chef Gason’s Canvas of Culinary Arts
Click on photo to learn more about Chef Gason
BTCF has teamed up with Chef Gason to engage in a culinary experience, respecting all food, the preparation process, and the enjoyment of food. He believes plating is a canvas for one to express yourself and use your imagination – there is no right or wrong and possibilities are endless, have fun, create shared experiences and memories with families and friends, having purpose that can be bold and exciting!
“A Chef means being creative and having a clean canvas to create culinary art. Being able to educate people about the food and making them excited about what they are eating.” Chef Gason
NOLA Chef Gason Nelson is a Global Cooking Instructor for ‘The Chef & The Dish’, a Private/Personal Chef/Owner/CEO of “Full of Flavor” in New Orleans, and a National Featured Chef in many publications and television programs, including Food Network’s ‘Chopped’, Readers Digest, Sports Illustrated, and New Orleans’s morning shows to name a few. He is a two-time James Beard Scholar and appeared in many noted festivals. Additionally, Chef Gason was also named Louisiana top 25 Best Chefs of 2017 and 2020. His clients include celebrities such as Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, Matthew McConaughey, Sinbad, the Kardashians, and NBA and NFL Players like Aaron Brooks, DeMarcus Cousins, Reggie Bush, Chris Paul, and Ben Watson. He is also a long-time supporter of Breaking The Chains Foundation!
Fall Apple Pie
Fall Apple Pie
Store brought pie crust
2 1/4 lbs Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored 6-7 apples
2 teaspoons cinnamon
8 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, + 1 Tbsp water, for egg wash
Preheat oven to 425˚F.
Melt butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 3 Tbsp flour then simmer for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Whisk in 1/4 cup water, 1 cup sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue simmering for 3 minutes, whisking frequently then remove from heat.
Peel, then remove cores and thinly slice apples and place them in a large bowl. Sprinkle the top with 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and squeeze in the juice of one lemon and toss to combine. Pour the sauce over the apples and stir to coat the apple slices.
Sprinkle your work surface with flour and roll out the bottom pie crust to a 12″ diameter circle. Place it in a 9-inch pie pan. Add apple mixture, mounding slightly in the center, and being careful not to get the filling on the edges which would make it difficult to seal.
Roll second crust into an 11″ round and cut into 10 even thickness strips. Arrange strips in a woven lattice pattern over the top. Beat together 1 egg and 1 Tbsp water and brush the top with the egg mixture.
Bake at 425˚F for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350˚F and continue baking another 45 minutes or until apples are soft and filling is bubbling through the vents. Rest at room temp 2 hours before serving. I like serving mine with ice cream on top BABY!!!
You should get 9 wonderful slices
Guacamole & Shrimp Toast Points
- 1 baguette, French bread or toast points —, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil for drizzling
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp —, peeled & deveined,
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt —, or more if needed
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 large ripe avocados —, mashed
- juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small garlic clove minced
Pico de Gallo
- 1 lb tomatoes (3-4 medium), diced
- 1/2 medium onion (1 cup chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice from 1 lime
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray. Bake baguette slices for 10-15 minutes, until golden. Take out of the oven and drizzle with just a little olive oil.
- Season shrimp with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cayenne, and garlic powder.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook shrimp for 1-2 minutes per side, until pink. Transfer to a serving plate and squeeze juice from 1/2 lemon over shrimp.
- In a bowl mash avocado and season with salt, pepper, and lime juice. Add garlic if you’d like.
- Spread mashed avocado over baked bread and then top each piece with shrimp.
- For Pico In a medium bowl, diced tomatoes, onion, jalapeno pepper, and chopped cilantro. Stir in 2 Tbsp lime juice and lightly season with salt & pepper season to taste.
Chef Gason’s Crepes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk or almond milk
- Few splashes of avocado oil
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup of your favorite yogurt
- Chop up 1/2 cup each of your 4 favorite fruit
- Powdered sugar
Step 1- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk or almond mike and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth
- Step 2 Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
- Step 3 Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side.
- Once all crepes are done. Spread about a tablespoon of yogurt in the middle of each crepe then place fruit on top of yogurt then roll the crepe up and place on the plate. Repeat until you have all the crepes filled. If any fruit is left over just place it on top of the crepes and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve hot.
Should make about 4 crepes
Chef Gason’s Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely diced leeks
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 14 ounces canned coconut milk
- Creme fraiche or sour cream for topping
- Garlic infused Olive oil (optional)
- Begin by roasting the sweet potatoes. Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Coat sweet potato halves with oil. Place down on a lined baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes at 400-degrees F. Discard peels. Transfer to a bowl and thoroughly mash.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and allow to melt. Add leeks, onion, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Grate garlic cloves directly into the pan. Sprinkle in dried oregano, ground ginger, ground cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Stir in stock and coconut milk. Bring to a low simmer; continue to simmer on low heat until potatoes are ready.
- Whisk in mashed sweet potatoes until combined. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm. If you so desire, garnish with chopped green onion, creme fraiche, or sour cream and drizzled with infused garlic olive oil.
This recipe makes about 6 cups
Garlic and Honey Glazed Chicken Breast
- 1 lb. Boneless and Skinless Chicken Breast (2 pieces)
- 1/3 cup Honey
- Salt and Pepper to season
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 3 ½ tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
Cut the breasts in half horizontally to create 4 pieces total.
Season each side with salt and pepper.
Place flour in a shallow dish. Coat chicken in flour on both sides and shake excess flour off.
Melt most of the butter in a large skillet over high heat – hold back about 1 tsp for later.
Place chicken in skillet and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until golden. Turn and cook the other side for 1 minute.
Turn heat down slightly to medium high.
Make a bit of room in the pan, add garlic and top with remaining dab of butter. Stir garlic briefly once butter melts.
Add vinegar, soy sauce and honey. Stir / shake pan to combine. Bring sauce to simmer, then simmer for 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
Turn chicken to coat in sauce. If sauce gets too thick just add water and stir.
Remove from stove immediately. Place chicken on plates, drizzle with remaining sauce and serve.
*Serves 4 People
Chef Gason’s Easter Lamb Shanks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 – 6 lamb shanks trimmed of excess fat
- 1 large white onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups red wine like Merlot Pinot Noir, or a Chianti
- 14 oz (tomato puree or tomato sauce)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 beef bouillon cubes crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash and pat dry lamb shanks with paper towel.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat .
- Sear two shanks in the hot oil until browned on all sides, then repeat with remaining 2-4 shanks.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Sauté the carrots and diced onions in the pan juices until softened, (about 3 minutes), then add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Return the shanks back into the pot; season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with flour, toss well and cook for 4-5 minutes to brown the flour.
- Add stock, wine, puree, tomato paste, bouillon and herbs the bring to a simmer on the stove.
- Cover, transfer to lower part of the oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours and allow the meat to simmer slowly.
- Gently transfer the shanks onto a plate; tent to keep warm.
- Discard the bay leaves from the sauce and place pot onto stove. Simmer sauce over medium heat until thickened to your desired consistency.
- You should be left with about 3 cups of sauce thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon.
*If the sauce is too thick, add a few tablespoons of stock. If the sauce is too thin, boil it over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until reduced to the right consistency.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust salt and pepper, if desired. Add the shanks back into the pot of sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes, rice or pasta.
This Month’s Recipe
Jalapeno Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes with Mango Dipping Sauce
Jalapeno Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes with Mango Dipping Sauce
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, well-drained and picked for shells
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 3 teaspoons diced jalapenos
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko bread cups
In a large bowl, combine the crabmeat with mayonnaise, green onions, lime juice, honey, and 2 teaspoon chopped jalapenos; season with salt and pepper. Stir well to break up some of the crabmeat. Form the mixture into 8 crab cakes, packing them firmly. Put the crab cakes on a baking sheet and refrigerate until firm, about 25 minutes
Meanwhile, in a blender, puree the mango with 1 tablespoon of the oil and the remaining diced jalapenos until smooth. Scrape the mango puree into a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Put a handful of flour into a medium, shallow bowl. Put the eggs in another shallow bowl and the panko in a third bowl. Take a crab cake in your hand and carefully dust it all over with flour, shaking off any excess. Dip the crab cake in the beaten egg and then coat it well with the panko. Repeat with the remaining crab cakes.
In a medium skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add 4 of the crab cakes to the skillet and cook them over moderately high heat until they are browned and crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Drain the crab cakes on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 4 crab cakes.
Serve on a warm plate with side mango puree for dipping
Homemade Yogurt and Fruit Parfait
Homemade Yogurt and Fruit Parfait
- 3 cups homemade yogurt (recipe below)
- 2 Handful fresh sliced strawberries
- 2 Handful fresh blueberries
- 2 cup good quality granola
Put half of the berries and granola in the bottom of 3 small bowls and top with your favorite dairy-free yogurt. Finish off by topping with the reminding fruit and granola.
5 cups grass-fed whole milk or 2% milk
1/4 cup plain yogurt
Pour the milk into a pot and bring to a boil (not a roaring boil), up to 180 degrees stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Remove pot from heat and allow to sit for 30 to 60 minutes. You want the milk to cool to.116 degrees Dip your finger into the milk every once in a while, to determine when you can leave your finger in the milk for 10 to 15 seconds without burning. Pour in the yogurt and mix very carefully. Make sure not to overdo it.
Put the lid on the pot and carefully wrap plastic wrap around it. Place the wrapped pot in a slightly warm place where it will be undisturbed for 6 to 10 hours; overnight is best. Transfer to the refrigerator to allow the yogurt to continue to thicken. You can add any flavors, fresh mint, fruit, cinnamon, and the list goes on. I always add a little strawberry puree to mine.
Always save 1/4 cup of your yogurt to start your next batch.
Yields 5 cups of awesome yogurt
I find myself making parfaits more for dinner desserts these days than for breakfast and brunch. When they are good, I guess you can have them any time of day you want. – Chef Gason
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp, salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Add garlic to the skillet, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in chicken stock and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in remaining 6 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until melted and smooth.
- Stir in shrimp and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley.